?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
04 July 2013 @ 06:50 pm
And It Keeps Reeling Me Back In  
I recognize that about 95% of Tumblr is a problem but every once in awhile I stumble across the other 5% and get treated to something like THIS.

Cloud Atlas wasn't the greatest movie ever but it had some stunning visuals and good acting. This fanart of one of the better sequences had me squeeing a little (or a lot).
 
 
 
The Writer They Call Tay: BB: Oh No!awanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 02:46 am (UTC)
I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet, but that's precisely the way I feel about tumblr. The 5% is almost worth the rest, when you find amazing things, but sometimes the other 95% is just too much to deal with. I've culled down to just fanart and a person from flist now, and the Sherlockology blog. I couldn't take the rest.

That is an awfully cute picture, though!
formerly lifeinsomniacjoonscribble on July 5th, 2013 04:03 am (UTC)
I fully blame Hannibal for getting me to actually participate in Tumblr. Since then, I've had to avoid certain tags or just scroll through rather quickly.

That is an awfully cute picture, though!

The attention to detailed accuracy in that drawing gets me. That and the adorable little faces that are so gleeful. Plus, I appreciate a Cloud Atlas image that doesn't fixate on the misery and tragedy of that particular storyline.
The Writer They Call Tayawanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 04:09 am (UTC)
To be fair to Tumblr, I was mostly following Sherlock blogs, which is a volatile fandom to begin with. I got sick of spoilers, especially after Benedict's very distressed sounding tweet about people not taking pictures of the filming, and the general wank at a certain story being adapted. I just stick to Sherlockology now, they only release official news. The rest of what I follow is fanart, mostly, which is what I liked about tumblr to begin with.

I have seen gifs of that plot line when I was doing my Q research (read: looking at the Ben
Whishaw tag to try to figure out if he's left-handed or not), and yeah, I'm sure it's nice to have some fluffiness,
formerly lifeinsomniacjoonscribble on July 5th, 2013 04:40 am (UTC)
Is he left-handed? I'm now trying to remember which hand he used to write the letters in Bright Star but I've got nothing.

I ran across the fanart above during my own half-hearted research attempt to finally write the last Cloud Atlas fic that's been rolling around in my head. All I've figured out is that perhaps I should take this opportunity to re-read the novel again, despite the character differences. I can at least book!canon facts.

I just stick to Sherlockology now, they only release official news.

Really? Maybe I'll follow that one then.
The Writer They Call Tayawanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 04:45 am (UTC)
I think he might be ambidextrous. I've seen him smoke, drink and pour something with both hands. He's like Andrew Scott, he just seems to chose a hand and goes with it. I couldn't find anything of him writing, and I can't remember Bright Star either. It's insane the things you can find out about actors, but never the things you need to know.

Yep! They have filming news and cast and crew news, and often Sue Vertue communicates with it directly. They do have S3 spoilers, but only ones that have been officially announced. They have a policy not to talk or reblog any set stuff without it first coming from someone in charge.
formerly lifeinsomniacjoonscribble on July 5th, 2013 04:58 am (UTC)
Ok I got curious so I did an image search and found a couple of photos of him signing stuff with his right hand. But I'll be super impressed if he is ambidextrous. This vaguely reminds me of the What Color Are Martin Freeman's Eyes? Debate.
The Writer They Call Tayawanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 05:04 am (UTC)
He seems to favour smoking and holding mugs with his left hand. I think there's also a picture out there from Perfume where he's pouring a tiny vial into another one with left hand and I think I would find that difficult. But I do use my mouse left-handed and bat for baseball left-handed. Maybe it's just that sort of thing,

At least we know for certain that Martin Freeman is left-handed?
formerly lifeinsomniacjoonscribble on July 5th, 2013 05:18 am (UTC)
He seems to favour smoking and holding mugs with his left hand.

Huh. Actually, this does make sense. When it's a matter of holding things or doing non-writing hand movements, I also switch a little. But writing I can only do the right hand. I've only ever met one person in real life who could write using both hands and I was mesmerized.

At least we know for certain that Martin Freeman is left-handed?

He...is? Okay, clearly I suck at noting right versus left-handed.
The Writer They Call Tayawanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 12:35 pm (UTC)
My mum broke her arm when she was little, very badly so she was out for months, and she learned to write perfectly with her left hand, but I don't know anyone who was sort of born ambidextrous.

I did some research on cross-dominance for my Lost for Words story because I needed Sherlock to be ambidextrous and I wanted to see how realistic that was. Handedness is actually really interesting, especially left-handedness. Apparently no one really knows why some people are left-handed. There's a theory that they are all twins with the other not surviving in the womb, and so they are all mirror twins with the 'right' one never being born. Some people think it's a sort of brain damage. And if two lefties have a kid, that kid only has a slim chance of being a lefty.

One day all these random things I know will be of use, I swear.

He...is? Okay, clearly I suck at noting right versus left-handed.

I only noticed when I was making icons. But he for sure is, which is why I always get a kick out of Sherlock ranting in The Blind Banker about how a left-handed man wouldn't shoot himself with his right hand while standing next to a left-handed man who shoots with his right.

Although that's apparently that's pretty standard for the military. Guns aren't symmetrical and it's dangerous to shoot with your left hand.

Yep, one day, all of this will be of use. Someday...
formerly lifeinsomniacjoonscribble on July 5th, 2013 07:09 pm (UTC)
There's a theory that they are all twins with the other not surviving in the womb, and so they are all mirror twins with the 'right' one never being born.

Weird! And extremely cool. I wonder what would it mean then if a pair of identical twins were left handed?

Although that's apparently that's pretty standard for the military. Guns aren't symmetrical and it's dangerous to shoot with your left hand.

Does this automatically put any lefties at a bit of a disadvantage when training because you have to get comfortable firing with your non-dominant hand so it's an extra strain?
The Writer They Call Tayawanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 08:37 pm (UTC)
I'm afraid I know the answer to neither question. My random knowledge is somewhat spotty.

I imagine the latter is probably likely, but at least for John, he wasn't out in the field very much. Though he is an excellent shot. It's also possible he shoots with his right because his left shoulder is busted and the recoil is too much. He punches with his right, too, though in that case Sherlock basically ordered him to.
formerly lifeinsomniacjoonscribble on July 5th, 2013 08:52 pm (UTC)
The shoulder wound may be an excellent reason for shooting with his right hand.

I'm always so impressed with your researching for your fics for accuracy. I feel like as a reader, I've become more discerning about other fics and just novels in general about how accurate the author is thanks to your stories.

On a vaguely related note, I always tend to be extra-impressed when actors talk about how much they can't do something but tried extremely hard to make it look like they're experts on screen. Like Derek Jacobi saying he was afraid of donkeys but on the Cadfael set had to act like Daisy the Donkey was his BFF. And he was convincing!

Same for how Ben Whishaw does not own a computer and may be a two-finger typist but trying to make it seem like laptops are a natural extension of his hands.

Things like that I feel are actually harder than the acting with your face and voice. I once watched a show about a world famous surgeon and his acting in terms of characterization was excellent. But the minute he picked up a needle and thread it became so obvious he'd never sewn a damn thing in his life which broke the illusion for me.

/long rant about random things that are random

Edited at 2013-07-05 08:53 pm (UTC)
The Writer They Call Tayawanderingbard on July 5th, 2013 09:35 pm (UTC)
That is an extremely lovely thing to say! Thank you! I really enjoy researching, so even if it doesn't make it into the story, I have fun learning about it. I really don't understand how people don't read or want to know things. Learning stuff is one if my favourite things in life.

I really enjoy proper medical acting. I have the disadvantage of my mum sitting there critiquing, so I am overly sensitive to it. I really admire actors who sound and look like doctors. I think my favourite example is Miami Medical. Everyone on that show was excellent.